Friday 3 October 2008

Reasons to bark

Barking is a serious thing and for some dogs it's a problem too.
I tend to bark when I'm in the park - there's nothing better than being launched from the back seat and letting the whole world know that "I'm in the park! I'm going to play with Tugger (new) and roll on my back!"
Yes, barking is a way of expressing the joy of just being a collie.
It's also a way of letting certain categories of humans know exactly where they stand:
  1. Postmen & couriers: an age-old favourite for cartoonists. They can be barked at safely (in most circumstances) because with a perfectly secure door between 'us' and 'them', no-one's hurt in these exchanges
  2. Leaflet droppers: scum, generally, IMO. Useless rubbish scattered all over the floor. These people are a worthless bunch who ignore signage telling them to "beware of dog" & "close the gate" so pretty much deserve everything they get and if that's a good barking at, then c'est la vie!
  3. Loiterers: anyone pausing and showing unnecessary interest in the pack's property is always worth barking at to make the point that there are consequences to trespass
  4. People in the park (including other dog owners): if they stop ST &/or FP during MY walk, then, yes, I am going to bark. It's MY walk, not yours!
  5. Our next door neighbours: I used to live next door to this chap who wore a fluorescent yellow vest. Current neighbours don't do this (TG) but still I just have to pass a comment or two on what they are wearing. I'm not criticising, no. I'm actually rather fond of them and am hoping they will come and spend the evening with us soon. Plus, a while ago I was trying to tell them that there
    was a squirrel in their roof
  6. FP’s brother: just because, you know.

Well, those are my categories. Random I’ll grant you but in part it’s a tradition and in part it’s just my way of communicating.

No comments: