Thursday 3 July 2008

Stocked up!

Excellent, that's what I like to see...My cupboard has been filled up with food, ST's cooked a ham and today I managed to snaffle what I believe is known as a jelly baby on the quiet!
At first I thought "Ugh!" but I'm not the type of dog to give up easily on what I have seen my human friends enjoying. It was an orange one, which amongst humans seems to be 3rd only to red ones and green ones. Yellow and white ones are not so good. To begin with I couldn't work it out at all - swallow it whole or chew? I spat it out so I could have another look (risky, since I had 'liberated' this jelly baby from the very edge of the table where it had rolled from the open packet and I might have been discovered at any moment). It didn't seem to have any obvious parts I could chew off and assess without taking on the whole thing. I tried the old tactic of bowing down and nudging it about the floor with my head as this always helps me when I can't decide what to do with oddly shaped or textured food (take note though it can be a messy method with, say salmon). In the end I went for it and bit into the whole thing but damn me if FP didn't walk in at that very moment!
She'd have had it out of my mouth except that by the time she got to me it was stuck in my back tooth. I did extreme licking for a while and eventually emptied my tooth of jelly. It took a fair amount of time so I can see how jelly babies have a function for people who're waiting for something to happen or on long drives. For me though, I'd have to say that if it came down to a straight choice between a jelly baby (red, orange or green) and a bonio (or a jumbone, or gravy bone...or a piece of ham) then I wouldn't take the jelly baby first. If it was still there after I finished off the other snacks, however...

No comments: