Tuesday 7 April 2009

Snort

I have learned how to snort in a way that gets ST into trouble. All dogs can snort, though few deploy the snort in a timely fashion designed to re-start a stalled walk in the park. I am thinking of including a chapter on snorting in my forthcoming book "Being A Proper Dog", by Barky Barkyson (that's my official writing name, BTW).
So, what happens is that ST, bless him, often pauses and strikes up conversations with other dog walkers in the park causing distress and annoyance to me. I've been racking my brains for a while now, trying to come up with a way to get him moving again and the other day I hit on it quite by chance. ST stopped to talk to another owner and I got bored, wandered a little way off and started sniffing. I don't know what it was I sniffed but it was so awful that I had to snort to get it out of my nose! Because it is difficult to spell what a snort actually sounds like, I will simply write 'snort' in the following re-enactment of the scene:
ST: "Morning, how're you?"
Other Owner (OO): "Good, you?"
ST: "Ah, not too bad. Nice weather again."
OO: "Yes, it's meant to be nice all week and then worse next."
ST: "Well, we need a bit of rain for the garden. We're planting seeds, hoping to grow our own again."
OO: "Really how's that going?"
ST: "It's fine, fine. We'll see how it goes."
OO: "I'm going shopping later. Might buy a new pair of these wellies. Wrong time of year for wellies, mind, but I really like these...
SNORT!
OO: "What?"
ST: "Hmmm?"
OO: "I thought you said something."
ST: "No, no. Nothing."

OO moved on giving ST a bit of a look and I knew then the power of a snort. Yes.

No comments: