Tuesday 26 May 2009

A game of tactics

I think Leggy Leggerson has been cheating at chess. I don't know that much about chess (yet) and, TBH, it was a surprise when one of my toys suggested that we play a board game rather than just remaining mute whilst I try and pull its arms and legs off; I wonder if Leggy's feeling vulnerable?
Anyway, I agreed to play chess despite not really knowing what chess was and hoping it was a snack. Turns out there are some bite-size pieces involved but none of them are edible (I checked because 'pawn' could have been 'prawn' and I love the seafood!). Leggy swiftly set up the board whilst I had a quick read of the Instructions. I went first, advancing a Not-Prawn forward a bit. Next thing I know Leggy's claiming victory and demanding that he be left alone in a comfy chair for the afternoon! I sloped off with the instruction book.
Next day, same thing happened. I tracked Leggy Leggerson down to a little used area of the living room where he appeared to be concealed under a table mat (why?). He spluttered with shock at being uncovered and again suggested that we play chess. But moments later he was claiming victory and wanting to be left in peace in an unspecified location.
I returned to the rules and scoured them for hints as to how I could be losing so rapidly. Is Leggy a Grand Master in disguise? What event could have driven a Grand Master to disguise himself as a 6-legged toy? I don't know but I'm thinking that Leggy is beating me because he's got more legs than I have and if we could play my preferred game of 'Pull The Legs Off The Toy', I feel sure we'd be more equal at the chess board.

No comments: