Thursday 25 November 2010

The power of ask

Asking questions is how we find out stuff and negotiate our way through the world. We all need to feel like we can ask stuff and, in turn, we should do what we can to make others feel that asking us stuff won't win them a swift and damning judgement of an unfavourable nature - asking questions doesn't mean someone is stupid or ignorant, it means they've recognised a need for information
I like to do my asking in different ways, depending on who I'm dealing with. For example, if a puppy runs up to me and goes all squirmy and rolling around on the ground under my nose, I ask it to stop confusing me with this submissive behaviour by Barking Loudly. It doesn't always work; recently a puppy jumped on my head and made it difficult to continue barking. 
Other times I ask for treats off humans by sitting in front of them, sucking in my cheeks to make it look like I am starved and waving a paw weakly. This works in most cases.
Quite often I ask all dogs and humans in the park to form up in neat lines and walk in the same direction to satisfy my Collie Need for Order. This NEVER works.

No comments: